A bridegroom’s check out

what is special about this blog post is, it is about my pen kaanal - Bride-seeing function -The century old barbaric tradition, I would say !

Got ready in the early morning ( my mid night time) 6 AM all set. Well Washed ( yes an hour bath) loosened hair styled with a centre cute clutcher, diamond earrings , my mother’s necklace, a timex bracelet type watch, gold bangle. If not nose stud , diamond is mandatory in any Tamil Brahmin wedding. They used to prank us “ one diamond nose stud and silver pot vessel is enough for bride’s wedding”.

My relatives came one by one . Yes I have big family tree. We are 18 in dad’s side and 30 in mom’s side. Thinking of the hall space and to avoid scaring the bride groom side, we restricted to 20 ( Obviously my dads side family)

My cousins were already in the selfie mode. While i was sweating like going to take the 10th board exam. Of course they liked my photos , but still I wanted to give a good impression. “First impression is the best impression “

They came around 9 AM, they were 6. Entire hall was silent inspite of the heavy crowd. My cousins freaking out, peeping out of the varanda to see the groom. “ Yay, they came! They came!”.

Then they started speaking while i was sitting in the room waiting to be called. My mom told me to come and do namaskaram. I did and sat on the corner chair like golu bommai (Tamil iyer navarathri function ).

My now father in law said to my mother in law “ hey sit close to bride and check out. Later don’t complaint I didn’t see her properly “ ( sarcastically) 

Then all of the sudden, my mom unexpectedly asked me to sing song. I never felt shy like that ever before. I have been to carnatic music class during childhood, didn’t know it was for this performance ultimately. 

Anyways , to give a good impression to my folks and everyone there, i shed out my shyness and started singing. 6 people from groom side includes a head of family who was 10 months old. Yes he is my nephew in law who was just attempting to talk.

When I started singing he stopped playing and started staring at my mouth. Couldn’t resist myself from laughing. But I still continued . At one point , when i was singing in high pitch, this lil music mastro started screaming along.My dad was commenting “ paaru, eduthu kudukaran” ( meaning,he is helping me with lyrics)


I stopped and laughed aloud. And followed by me everyone in the hall chorused laughing!!

My mom was insisting me to complete the song, and yes i did.. my most favorite uncle, Chithapa “kozhanthaiye ok sollidhuthu” ( kid said yes to the bride) and was asking the groom “ did you enjoy the song?”

My switchbuchikee hubby who hesitated to look at me directly but had all his attention over me , replied “ nanna SPB madiri padna” ( sang like SPB) 

SPB male singer na?! Anyways, they then asked us to speak privately at the roof top. We went and silently took selfie and came and said yes to the elders at home.



Apprum enna dum-dum-dum thaan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bad Kitchner - Crackpot's comeback

Quater life crisis -A beautiful fwd mail from a bestie

Dasavatar